Saturday, August 06, 2005

Hiroshima - A Ray of Light That Stabbed Like an Arrow



A ray of light that stabbed like an arrow
Drawing and text / Rikuo Fukamachi
August 6, 1945
Approx. 2,200m from the hypocenter
Ushita-machi (now, Ushita-minami 1-chome)

"A tremendous flash of light stabbed like an arrow yet filled every space. I was in the entrance hall, just about to leave the house. The blast blew me, the house, the walls, and all our furniture away. I lost consciousness and lay buried under the rubble until I heard my mother's voice calling me."






Child's skeleton in the rubble
Drawings and text / Tomiko Ikeshoji (Kubo)
August 7, 1945
Approx. 1,500m from the hypocenter
Hiroshima Red Cross Hospital Senda-machi 1-chome

"In the ruins of a private home outside the hospital grounds, I found the skeleton of a child. At that instant, mysteriously I saw on those bones the cute face of a child. It was a face without injury, without suffering, the face of a first or second grader. I was overwhelmed. Why was such a child here? Yet I never even shed any tears. When I went to that spot again in November, the child was gone, probably recovered by family. Nearby, some tiny sprouts were coming up."

Artwork and Text from: "Hiroshima Survivors" at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum.


Hiroshima Ceremony, August 6, 2005

1 Comments:

Blogger Vasiliy Zvezdochkin, dedoushka said...

no words ahead. lots of cry to say. ok...

thank you for this post.

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FAIR USE NOTICE:: This site contains images and excerpts made available for the purpose of analysis and critique, as well as to advance the understanding of artistic, political, media and cultural issues. The 'fair use' of such material is provided for under U.S. Copyright Law. In accordance with U.S. Code Title 17, Section 107, material on this site (along with credit links and attributions to original sources) is viewable for educational and intellectual purposes. If you are interested in using any copyrighted material from this site for any reason that goes beyond 'fair use,' you must first obtain permission from the copyright owner.